Friday, June 10, 2011

Create a Jewelry Wall Mount in Under 15 Minutes


Great for All Kinds of Little Things and Simple to Make!


           This simple yet stylish design is not only made in minutes but has so many uses you can’t help but make one or two!

           Not only is it great for woman to hang make-up, jewelry, and hair accessories but I use one by my desk for notes and I even made one for my husband’s pocket watches! You can form many shapes depending on the length.


Things to keep in mind before making your Wall mount:
  • What will you hang from your wall mount?
           The reason I ask is because you need more support for heavier items. Which would mean heavier material, tighter braid, and you will probably require more tacks and larger pins.
Example: If I want to just use my braid for hair clips I could use silk or thin weaker material because there is little to no stress on the material. But for my husband’s pocket watches I used heavier material from a window curtain and did a much tighter braid.
  • How many items will you be hanging from it or how large is the location you want to put it?
          If you only have a small area and just want to use it for keeping a few notes you will probably want a shorter length whereas if you to where going to hang a few pairs of shoes you will definitely want a longer string. Tip: If you do try hanging shoes I would use hook screws instead of tacks to mount it to the wall.

Materials:
Fabric: I used a 9 by 36 inch piece of material but feel free to use any length or size.
String or 2 Rubber Bands: For my project I used a clear ouch less band but if you don’t have a band that will work well string will work just fine.
5 Tacks: The tacks are used to hang the wall mount so depending on the weight more tacks, screws or nails may be more appropriate.
Pins: Once again depending on what you are using it for you may need more or larger pins. I use small sewing pins in all the images shown.
Scissors: For cutting the Fabric!

Okay, Let’s Get Started!

           Step 1: Cut the fabric into 3 long strips approx 3 inches in width. While cutting the fabric I do not make them perfectly even, this is because I don’t mind a little rigid look. However if you plan sew the pieces I recommend cutting them evenly.
           Step 2: Take one end of each slice and use a rubber band to keep them together.  If you are using string then you would wrap the string a couple times around the end, do a couple normal knots, wrap a few more times and tie a few more times. Make sure it is tied nice and tight!
           Step 3: Start Braiding. **Tip**I attach a safety pin to the material where the rubber band is then attach it to a pillow to hold the material in one place as I braid. Use the 2nd rubber band or string to finish the braid.
 
          Step 4: Insert the tacks into a few different weaves throughout the braid. The tighter the braid the more difficult this is to do, however as I said before, this makes it sturdier.
          Step 5: Now just tack it to the wall and stick in the pins! Have fun with this and be creative, and please share you work! I am very interested to see what you come up with! **Tip** For heavier items, I like to place the pins near the tacks for more support.

Check Back in Soon for a Machine Washable Coaster!


No comments:

Post a Comment